Friday, September 18, 2009

Vegetarian Blogs

How many times have you been in this position? You need an asparagus recipe…now. You google “vegetarian asparagus recipe”, and end up with all of these crazy, confusing and unhelpful websites that just do not deliver.

I’ve been doing that for too long, and simply put my foot down on the whole thing. Along my long, tedious journeys for new recipes, I’ve found greater success when landing upon vegetarian cooks’ sites. They have a passion for their cooking, they’re original, and you know what else? They’re healthy!

Here are some of my favorite sites to visit, although I’m sure there’s a million more:

101 Cookbooks
Heidi Swanson is my idol. Her writing alone deserves an award. She pulls you into her articulate web with exquisite descriptions of her meals. She can make roasted pine bark sound appetizing.

Oh yeah, and the recipes are good too! She has some very unusual meals originating from cultures all over the world. I have to admit, I failed at her gnocchi, but I’m not Italian – so it’s clearly not my fault.

Just the Food
This website was a delightful find. I’ve been making imitation ground meat chili for years, but Joni Newman’s recipe made me realize that it could have been so much better. She’s vegan, but her recipes are all filling and satisfying.

the Vegan Kitchen
This is a hardcore, vegan, homeschooling chick. She takes some incredible, inspiring pictures, and is a wealth of knowledge about stuff you would never even think to ask about. But you’ll be glad she told you. She also has other sections for her other interests from homemade soap products to her adorable children. This is a pretty intense site, but I guarantee her fascinating posts will rope you in.

Give me “real” people over corporate sites any day. There is just something about personal experience and enthusiasm for the vegetarian lifestyle that really inspires me to get into the kitchen and cook something delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment